Banksman Slinger Signaller
This course is designed to help organisations meet their legal requirements and reduce the risk of accidents when carrying out commonplace but dangerous reversing manoeuvres.
The Banksman Slinger Signaller can be responsible for:
- Guiding large vehicles reversing into parking areas;
- The operation of a lorry or crane using a system of hand signals or a radio link from the point near where loads are attached and detached.
- Loading and unloading of lorries and directing the movement of other plant.
- Controlling the movement of an excavator, by carefully monitoring the bucket for any obstructions or underground services.
- On completion of the course you will be familiar with the basic skill requirements and job safety knowledge required for Banksman duties.
- Covers all the basic areas of safe slinging techniques.
- To safely and efficiently identify and select the correct slings, and to inspect, maintain, monitor, fit and use them effectively.
To teach the basic skill requirements and associated job safety knowledge to persons carrying out Banksman Slinger Signaller duties. At the course end successful delegates should be able to use slings in their line of work both safely and efficiently, to guide a large goods vehicle safely and efficiently into a designated area using hand and arm signals. Persons using slings in their line of work both safely and efficiently.
- Introduction to the course
- Health and Safety At Work Act (1974)
- The Workplace Safety Policy
- Employers/Employees Duties
- Safety – the responsibilities of the Banksman
- Current Legislation surrounding lifting equipment
- Pre-use checks – fault finding and basic maintenance of tackle
- Different variety of slings – wire ropes, fibre ropes, etc.
- Selecting the correct sling(s) for different loads
- Theory Test
- Using arm/hand signals to direct vehicle drivers safely
- Practical Test of Competence which involves the following
- Choosing the sling
- Fitting the sling(s) correctly
- Shortening the sling(s) correctly.
- Lifting and manoeuvring the load
- Awareness of safety procedures
- The set downs and clear up procedure
Course duration: 1-2 Days
As a result of successful completion of the training programme, delegates will receive certification of basic Slinging Awareness.